Saturday, March 20, 2010

Rain and Light

It's raining and the wind is moving through the canyons of Midtown, letting us know that spring isn't summer and we shouldn't get so carried away as to wear sundresses and sandals just yet. I've been inside all day, catching up on this and that. Mostly I've been enjoying listening to the sound of the fat raindrops as they hit my windows. I've got the shades open enough to let what sunlight can filter into my apartment without me exchanging full-on glances with my neighbors across the courtyard. It's not that I want to be antisocial, I just don't feel like sharing all that much today. It's a quiet day. Nice.

I realized that I haven't written here for a while. I've been in New Orleans, visiting my son and his sweetheart. We ate in charming restaurants, off the beaten path. We tried to watch the St. Patrick's parade, but it was on New Orleans time (ran four hours late). We were so beat from walking a couple miles and consuming green beer that we gave up and went home. The people-watching was excellent along the route. I did a little shopping for Mother-of-the-Groom dresses. Didn't buy anything. The wedding is many months away. I have time and I need to be in the right frame of mind to purchase something so important. I consider it of extreme import. I'm very happy about this wedding.

I have no photographs to document my vacation. I forgot my camera.

Taking eight days off work was just what I needed. I should have done it last month, but should've never did anything - that's what my mom used to say. I'm just glad I took time time away. My outlook feels much brighter, even as I look out my window onto a gray sky, it's not bleak. Not one bit.

I've been thinking about the canvas and paints I have stored away. There's more than one way to record memories and there's more than one way to bring light into a room. It may be time to bring them out again.

No comments:

Post a Comment