Thursday, March 10, 2011

Perspective

“Perspective, man, perspective”. Those smug words flowed too easily from my brain, to my fingertips, through the keyboard, and onto the screen. I was telling my friend that my view of him allowed me to see him in a unique way – that I somehow had the scoop on his Goodness. We’d been communicating most of the day about a recent breakup of one of my relationships, a friendship that had gone bad. He’d been supportive of me and I’d decided to make a public pronouncement of his support as a way of thanking him and (I will admit this) as a way of letting the world know that I still have friends.

Lately I’ve been feeling left out, confused, and generally pissed off around the loss of a couple of friendships. I admit this. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve also felt blessed, grateful, and honored at the addition and strengthening of relationships over the last year.

Yesterday was a little cathartic. (How is that possible? A “little” cathartic? Does one purge just a teensy bit?) Anyway, being asked to explain just what the hell had happened to the old gang was a relief. It also reinforced how little I’m bothered by the change. It’s simply change. You know, like life. It happens.

So as I was sitting in my chair contemplating the day and the discussion and the year leading up to it, my phone rang. It was 9:48 pm.

“Mom, please don’t be mad.”

Those are words that will get a mother’s attention.

This afternoon my daughter doesn’t remember saying those words.

Yesterday she was involved in an accident. She was driving her Vespa scooter and today she doesn’t remember telling me not to be mad at her.

Perspective.

I have the scoop on nothing.

Life is too precious to take things for granted. I am so thankful that my daughter was able to call me (again) today and let me know that she is hurting, that her injuries will heal.

Love. Love. Love

No comments:

Post a Comment