Friday, March 18, 2011

Providence

"The moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves as well. All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have occurred.

A stream of events issues from the decision, raising in one's favor all manner of unforeseen accidents, meetings, and material assistance that no one could have dreamed would come their way.

Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now. " Goethe


I haven't given Providence a lot of thought as a theological concept. I teeter on an agnostic ridge, living most of my life balanced somewhere between hopeful and doubtful. I occasionally perform a cliff dive and swim for days in the calm ocean of Grace that beckons me from my attempted perch as removed observer. It seems that I can only tolerate so much spiritual isolation before I crave the reassurance that someONE or someTHING is caring for me - not so much for my soul - but for me, as a person, and as a part of this planet. It involves my belonging.

Moving from one place to another by definition involves a beginning - and an ending. It requires a commitment to change. The challenge I see at this time is in opening myself to the dreams I've had all along but have been sleeping through. I am quite comfortable transposing religious constructs into Universal ideas. Boldness will allow me to move forward. Providence, the Universe, will allow it. I simply have to be open to the possibilities of my life.

Steps, movement, power.

1 comment:

  1. Uncle Daryl had sent me this quote when I was supposed to leave for Peace Corps the first time. I love it and just put the "Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now." on my wall above my mirror. Hope you're doing well Michelle and keep up the positive thoughts and movement!

    ReplyDelete