Thursday, February 19, 2009

A Patient's Lesson

I went to the doctor yesterday. Seems I overdid it a bit last week, with moving one room of furniture into another room (but the apartment looks swell!) and hitting a large bucket of golf balls with several practice swings in between. I'm a perfectionist, I know this. My streak of must-make-it-right led to sore ribs that wouldn't respond to ibuprofen so I requested an appointment with my Internist. I wanted to make sure I hadn't done any serious damage, or that I didn't have a TUMOR. After all I work in Oncology and that sort of thing crosses my mind about once every twelve minutes.

I was in more pain than I wanted to admit and I hadn't slept well. I approached the reception desk and gave my name. The pleasant woman behind the desk handed me a clipboard and asked me to sign in. Odd. The sign-in sheet was like the back portion of one of those magic writing tablets we used to have when we were kids - the kind that you lift up the top sheet and everything disappears because you're really only making an imprint on the wax underneath. Hmmm. I thought it must be some kind of patient privacy thing, signed my name and the time I arrived and handed back the clipboard. I settled into an uncomfortable chair for what I anticipated would be a wait. In the past I'd always waited an hour to see my doc. He's busy, but he's worth it.

I flipped through magazines and the newspaper. I watched the drug reps come in and out. After an hour and fifteen minutes, I was the only one in the waiting room. Something was not right. The receptionist asked me who I was waiting to see. Uh oh. He'd left the building.

I heard his nurse ask if I'd checked in. Then I knew what had happened. The "magic clipboard" was supposed to have paper on it. Shit! I heard the nurse say, "Who would do something like that? Couldn't she see how to sign in?"

Sore ribs or not, I came out of my chair. I told her that I could hear her. I told her that I was embarrassed to have filled out the form incorrectly - such as it was. I also told her that I had been sitting in the waiting room the entire time, that if she was concerned that I hadn't shown up for my appointment, all she had to do was look for me, she knows me. I told her that I am a medical provider and above all else that I would not want my patients to hear me talking about them in the manner she was talking about me.

Obviously angry, but still holding it together, I told her that I would happily reschedule my appointment. My doctor was, however, on his way back to the office.

I was seen, I was diagnosed and I was treated. I learned a huge lesson in humility and I hope that it will stay with me for a very long time. I think what happened yesterday was a combination of me (the patient) not asking when I was unsure of the check in procedure, and them (the office staff) not following through when a long-standing patient wasn't accounted for. This is a tough thing that all too often leads to patients not getting what they need. I consider it an opportunity to change my practice. This is a good thing.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, welcome to the world of the Rising Incompetency Threshold. Expect this kind of embarrassment to happen more often as you grow older...

    Seriously, though - you're being way too kind to them. Did they not even glance at the "form" when you handed it back to them?

    Your assumption that the form was supposed to be that way - wasn't completely ridiculous, given the technologies and rules and trends you know of. It just turned out to be wrong. And if you, a doctor yourself, didn't feel sure enough of your ground to question it - well, just feel for the plight of a regular patient in your position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vet, thanks for softening the blow. You're kind. By the way, I am a PA, not a doc. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good that you said all you did.

    "I can hear you!" is something I've mentioned to a few front-end folks over the years. "You don't know who I am, and I might just be related to the person you're raking over the coals so maliciously."

    Of course that's usually met with heavy sighs and major eye-rolls, but if it raises just one person's awareness, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MsSchofield, it's me, anniemor saying I liked this post, especially in light of my recent experiences with the medical profession, all absolutely magnificent, I assure you. Good to read you, and really hope I can add or hear from you again, thanks for following my total nonsense. x

    ReplyDelete