Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thoughts on Class

So I had a discussion last night regarding class, particularly "second" class. Although I'm still working that around in my head...well, I'm still working that around in my head. Part of doing so is considering how we might handle the concept of being perceived as "less than". It's a HUGE problem for many people, one that I've worked through over and over again. It's brought me to my knees more than once and each time, I'm more grateful than the last for the insight I've gained. Anyway, what sprang from my fingers is below. I've not achieved any personal milestones today. I've only written a bit. M



Caste

Stepping past the racks of crystal pleating
and leather,
you pause for a moment at bottles filled with
gold, with amber.
They seem to be
stoppered by someone else’s ambition.

Who exactly holds your favor?

The moment your eyes meet
those of the watchers,
they’ll hear your heart
sending
its thrum above the
drone and murmur of the room.

Giving into temptation,
you pull the delicate glass tops
from each container and leave
them on the counters.

Looking up through curved lashes
you bat away the judgment that
swirls toward you on waves of
citrus, vanilla and jasmine.

Your ragged jeans
swish, swish, swish
as you take your leave on
honeysuckle top notes.





MScofield 2/25/2009

1 comment: