Sunday, November 25, 2012

10 days off - sort of

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 11, Day 7
Planned Run:  What's a Plan?  5 miles
5.05 miles   58:32    11:35 pace
8:40 am  53 degrees
Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 48


I arrived in Seattle with the knowledge that my hotel had a fitness room and that the weather wasn't going to be a fun little drizzle but, rather, a downpour for several days.  I didn't feel so bad about being on a doctor-ordered rest from running. 

My brother and his wife (who I feel is very much a sister) met me at the airport and we went to dinner the first night.  I enjoyed more family the second day when they drove into the area near my hotel and my daughter and her husband (yep, like a son) met us for a walk through the market. 

During the time I had on my own, I got in a couple of stair climber/elliptical workouts.  I also walked around downtown Seattle - a lot.  There are so many beautiful buildings, art galleries, museums, and interesting venues.  Never mind the rain.  There are also hills.  Epic hills.  I felt like I got my exercise.

I moved out to Everett to spend the holiday with my brother's family.  We took two long walks together.  Really nice.  We also ate fantastic seafood and toured the wine district.

Wow.

It's a good thing I'd given myself permission to relax and enjoy the trip because that's exactly what I did.  The thing is, my brother and sister-in-law are also now in the mindset of taking care of themselves so even though we indulged in delicious wine and tasted some yummy food, we were thoughtful in our choices.  We went to a restaurant for breakfast and I was so proud of us for the way we each ordered.  We had half omelets with veggies instead of fatty fillings and fruit instead of potatoes.  It's not a struggle to make these decisions.  We've developed habits and I'm excited to think of us growing past middle age, into being old folks together.

So it was with real sadness that I checked my bags at the airport and started my journey home.  I love my family and I need to find a way to be closer to them.  It was a wonderful trip and this notion of me not wanting to live in a city without family only gets stronger each time I'm with them.

And then my sadness turned to frustration when I realized that my flight was cancelled.  Sigh.  What are you gonna do?  This is what I did.  I stood on a long line and waited silently while a lone smartass agent repeatedly told us that he didn't want us looking so angry, making cracks, or asking him any questions.  (I didn't hear one person in that line say one word to that man at all.  He was trying to be funny but we just wanted to go home.)  I felt bad for the elderly people and the people trying to get to Mexico City who didn't speak English.  I only had to get to Houston.  I waited an hour and a half to get a seat on a flight that got me home 4 hours later than planned.  Not that big of a deal, really.  Did I thank the smartass agent?  Of course.  Did I smile at him.  Not on your life.

Will I let United Airlines know about his behaviour when I go to their customer satisfaction website per this morning's email invitation?   Gladly.




©Michelle Scofield, Nov 25, 2012 All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment