Sunday, November 11, 2012

Out of the Darkness, A Child's Voice



Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 9, Day 7
Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 63
Planned activity: Cross Train
9:45 am  Hatha Yoga Class


I had to admit it.  I had very little to wear.  My one pair of dress pants looked more like jodhpurs - ridiculous.  After I wore them to work Wednesday, I washed them and put them in the donate section of my closet.  I had to go shopping. 

I read a lot of fashion magazines.  I watch fashion shows on the net.  I read fashion blogs.  I go to live fashion shows when I get an invite and I've been known to crash an opening or two.  I love fashion.  I've been thinking a lot about how to replace my wardrobe and I came up with one word. 

Black.

I walked toward Nordstrom's with resolve. I scolded myself.  I'm too easily drawn to the red dress, the green skirt, the gold blouse.  Good God, I just described myself as a Christmas tree.  I cajoled myself.  Black is slimming.  I've come so far in my fight to regain my former body.  Wearing black will only make me look better.  I coached myself.  I can do it!  I talked to my rational (read: frugal) self.  If I'm going to spend money now, I'm going to purchase a few quality pieces and they're going to be black. I have black boots (too many to count), black leather jackets (yes - that's plural), and black coats.


However.  But.  On the other hand...

I was also feeling mellow and gooshy on the inside from my yoga class.  I'd blissed out during the Savasana and was finding myself receptive to everyone I came across this afternoon.  I'd chatted with sales people and fellow shoppers as if we were old friends.  I was walking out of the department store with a bag full of black t-shirts, black sweaters, black tights, and black pants when a little girl shrieked in delight and shouted to me, "Elmo!" 

Maybe a little color in my life isn't such a bad thing. 

I'd worn my Sesame Street t-shirt on my shopping trip.  Hey, at least I'm not the only one who likes it.  




©Michelle Scofield, Nov 11, 2012 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment