Monday, November 12, 2012

Sweet Thoughts

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 10, Day 1

Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 62
Planned activity: 4 mile run
7.07 miles   1 hour 19 minutes      11:10 pace

I'm going to do my best to fit it all in this week.  That includes rest days, doctor's appointments, work, driving an extra 4 hours total to get to work at clinics I'm covering, and a long flight.  I also have these runs on my schedule:

3 miles.  7 miles.  4 miles.  15 miles.

This is all contingent on my Doc allowing me to continue to run.  I'm not in as much pain.  I saw the MRI report.  The sprinkles missing from the top of the caramel sundae are his eyes reading the films.  (I LOVE me a caramel sundae!)

So...I'm going to adapt, adjust, fit-in, make-do. 

Tonight I thought I'd shake off my "it's-eight-in-the-morning-here's-your-first-consult" day with an easy 4 mile run.  The weather is beautiful.  I was feeling pretty good, except for being hungry.  (I didn't plan so great today and I ended up grabbing a turkey sandwich at a hospital cafeteria but didn't have any snacks to ward off afternoon hunger.) 

Before I set out on my run, I ate a handful of mini pretzels and drank half a glass of Gatorade. 

It really WAS a beautiful fall day.  I love the sound and feel of leaves crunching under my feet.  As I came up on 2 miles I realized that I could go another 1.5 miles, turn around and I'd have 7.  Not a difficult sell.  I finished in the dark but, hey, I run in the dark most mornings.

As I finished up (around mile 6), I realized that my mindset about distance has shifted.  I now consider a 12 or 15 mile run a long run.  6 or 7 isn't such a big deal.

I'm about to tuck into the sweet potato I baked last night.  I have a feeling it's going to taste extra sweet after an hour plus of running.  Not as good as a caramel sundae.  I'm not going to lie to you.  A root vegetable doesn't hold a candle to ice cream.  I may be obsessed with running but I haven't lost my damned mind. 








©Michelle Scofield, Nov 12, 2012 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment