Thursday, November 1, 2012

On the Other Hand/Foot

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 8, Day 4


Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 72
Planned activity: 4 miles
Didn't run this week.  Won't run this week.  I limped a bit.  Does that count?

I'm experiencing a lot of emotions.  Disappointment, fear, anger.

On the other hand, I'm trying to tell myself to be patient.  I have an appointment with my doctor next week.  Resting and possibly a cortisone injection might help.

On the other hand, I'm in too much pain to stretch. 

On the other hand, when I stretch - even a little - am I doing more damage?

On the other hand, I resent the hell out of this 52 year old body.

On the other hand, younger athletes get injured.

On the other hand, I looked at the times for Sunday's half marathon and I finished ahead of some younger athletes.

On the other hand, I should find a lap pool.

I only have two hands. 

I found an old lidocaine patch and stuck it on my heel.  I was able to get a decent night's sleep.

Last hand.  I promise.  I'm in a much better place to be able to handle disappointment than I was a couple years ago.  I'll just have to see.  If I have to pull out of marathon training, so be it.   Thanks for hanging in here with me.  I'll keep you posted. 






















©Michelle Scofield, Nov 1, 2012 All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment