Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Sleep Rocking

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 10, Day 3

Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 60
Planned activity: 4 mile run
5:00 am  51 degrees
4.1 miles 46:11 11:16 pace


Now I know how a rock feel when it sleeps.   I needed rest. 

Monday night was one for the records.  My well-deserved, post-run slumber was interrupted somewhere around 2:30 by a slamming headache.  The rest of the night was spent in a stuporous wave of confusion, back and forth to the bathroom, thinking maybe I should go to the emergency room because (seriously) this was possibly the worse migraine I've ever experienced in my life.  I've been lucky to have a break from bad headaches for about 5 years.  I'm on medication to prevent them and I think being "of a certain age" and hormonal status is a blessing in disguise.

I didn't go to the emergency room.  I rationalized that if I went, I might be given some medication that wouldn't allow me to drive myself home.  I rationalized that if I went, I wouldn't be able to work the following day.  I rationalized that if I went, I might have a scan of my brain that would find something DIRE and FRIGHTENING.

I didn't go to the emergency room.  I stuck it out and managed to drag myself to work with a few spoonsful of oatmeal, a couple of Tylenol and half a cup of coffee in my belly.  I dragged through the morning.  (Thank goodness I didn't have a clinic schedule.)  My office mates were very kind to me and by noon I was feeling much better.  I drank copious amounts of cool water and hot herbal tea all day.  After work I was back to my old self.  I went to the library and then came home to dinner and early bed.  Early.  For sure.  I was asleep by 9, maybe 8:30.

It wasn't so bad to have a 4:30 wake-up today.  The run felt good.  My foot is still aching, minimally.  I'll see my doctor today and get a verdict.  The air was cool and crisp.  I was trying to think of the source of my headache.  Maybe I got dehydrated, that's all I can guess.  I drove an hour each way to work Monday, ran 7 miles in the evening (instead of the morning), and dinner was kind of a catch-all.  Hopefully it was an isolated thing and I'm over that.   I don't want an encore.  No way.




©Michelle Scofield, Nov 14, 2012 All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment