Sunday, November 4, 2012

Q & A

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 8, Day 7



Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 70
Planned activity: Short run (testing things out) 
4.37 miles    54.08  12:23 min/mile

What follows is a glimpse into some of the conversations I had this week.  The words in italics were only heard in my head - not out loud.  Restraint is sometimes my friend.

Q:  What if you couldn't run again?
A:  I'd get fat and sad - again.  This date is going so bad anyway, I might as well put it all out there. Can I go home now?


Q:  Do you stretch?
A:  Yes.  I do.  No, I don't take care of myself at all.  Those "PT" appointments on my clinical schedule stand for Poly Technic, not Physical Therapy.  I'm looking into a career in defense manufacturing. 


Q:  Does it have to be a marathon?  A half is totally respectable. 
A:  I know. It's my Mt. Everest.  You're the best daughter in the world and I really appreciate your concern.  I'm listening to you.

Q:  Is it time to pull out of the marathon?
A:  Quit talking to yourself, Michelle.  The marathon isn't until January.  You just took a slow test run and felt achy but not acute pain.  You see your Orthopedic Doc this week.  Buck up!  It ain't over 'til it's over.  In the meantime, slow and easy. Now ice that foot and get on with Sunday. 





©Michelle Scofield, Nov 4, 2012 All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment