Sunday, October 28, 2012

Half-Marathon In The Bag

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 7, Day 7


Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 76
Planned activity: Half Marathon      
Houston Half Marathon  13.1 Miles  
2:26:04  Pace 11:09/mile  46 degrees  Downtown Houston

In my experience, the running never becomes entirely routine.  We become more comfortable with certain activities and situations but there is always something that shifts and we find ourselves adjusting.  How we handle the adjustment won't necessarily make or break our run but it can make the difference between running in misery and having a good time.  And if we're not out there to have fun, just why are we out there?

A 7am start in October means it's dark.  A 7am start along Allen Parkway also means parking will be a bit of a challenge, especially for anyone who doesn't know downtown.  I left the land of Sugar at 5:30 and drove into Houston with a vague idea of where I might park.  I happened onto the free parking garage completely by accident.  After finding a spot on the 4th floor, I pinned my bib to my shirt and happily spied an old beach towel on the back seat.  I would be relatively warm until the race started. (I'd decided to wear knee-length running pants and a long-sleeved shirt.)  I wrapped the towel around my shoulders and descended the stairs to street level.

Kind of. 

The stairs opened onto a corridor where I found myself with one other runner and we didn't know where to go from there.  He drove down from Dallas last night because he heard this was a good race.  He was cold in his shorts and t-shirt.  Really cold.  I saw dozens of other runners walking outside.  I suggested we walk "that way" because they looked like they knew where they were going.  He said he was going to stay inside for awhile.  No problem.  I left him there.  Poor guy.

I found the staging area and what seemed to be a very small start line.   At about a quarter to 7, the announcement was made to start lining up.  If you've run a race, you know that usually the faster runners are at the front, slower at the back.  There were only a few thousand registered runners but the funneled start was going to be a problem, it was pretty clear.  And then...and then...a handful of people realized that they didn't have a clear picture of the course route.  We were to run BACK toward downtown for a mile, double back and then run the bulk of the race to the west.  The vast majority of racers knew where they were supposed to be but those that didn't shoved their way to the front with "excuse me, pardon me, excuse me" all the way there.  I bet it didn't buy them one minute of time and it certainly didn't buy them any goodwill - judging from the looks they received from the runners around them.

I rode this race on a wave of faith.  I had to believe that my training would hold up over a week of rest.  I'm in the best shape I've been in my entire adult life and I knew that as far as cardio goes, I could do it.  When I woke up this morning, I still had pain and I made the decision that I may always have pain.  If it becomes significantly worse during a race, I'll find out what it's like to ride the SAG wagon.  For me, running may very well hurt to some degree.  My son gave me great advice this week and I appreciate his belief in my abilities.  I have friends and colleagues who lift me up at the most needed and wonderful times. 

At mile 10, a man ran up next to me and asked me how I was doing.  I was starting to slow down a little at that time.  I don't know how far back he was when he noticed me and maybe thought to give me a little lift.  It was what I needed.  It carried me through to the end.  I was thrilled to see the finish line. 

The full marathon seems like a huge goal.  I'm going to let that sit in the background for just a few days and enjoy this accomplishment.  This feels great.

Oh, the beach towel.  I left it on a fence downtown.  Maybe it will keep someone warm tonight. 


 












©Michelle Scofield, October 28, 2012 All Rights Reserved







No comments:

Post a Comment