Monday, October 1, 2012

Click

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 4, Day 1
Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 103
Planned activity: 9 mile run
4:15 am   64 degrees
9.02 miles     1 hour 46 minutes   Avg 11:45 min/mile

I read and reread the words of guidance that accompany Hal Higdon's Training Schedule.  "You can...juggle the schedule depending on commitments...but do not cheat on the long runs."  No matter how I looked at it, I was going to have to move my long run up to the beginning of this week.  But when?  This morning seemed to be the best choice.  My ankle and foot continue to improve.  The temperature was absolutely perfect.  The moon is verging on full so I'd have plenty of light. 

Last night I set my alarm for 4am, got my gear together so I wouldn't be delayed in getting started, and called it an early night.  This morning I called it a VERY early morning. 

I had a plan for my route and that plan was to run 4.5 miles and turn around and come home.  I knew traffic wouldn't be an issue but I still clipped my LED light to my shorts to let oncomers know that I was in the street and warn them that hitting me would likely mess up the week for both of us.  There were very few cars out this morning.  I saw 5 or 6 other runners. 

Today's run was - for the most part - easy.  I knew what I was going to do, how far I was going, and how long it would take me.  I'm feeling trained physically and I'm beginning to feel trained mentally.  I'm not fooling myself into thinking that the next few weeks won't bring challenges.  I know they will.  I'm loving the solitary time my morning runs gives me.  I'm not exactly looking forward to the switch to afternoons.

I'm going to enjoy how this particular run felt while I'm still feeling it.  It felt like something in me clicked and I coasted through.  Nice.















©Michelle Scofield, October 1, 2012 All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment