Sunday, October 7, 2012

The Family That Runs Together...

Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 97


Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 4,    Days 5,6, and 7

Planned activity: 3 and 4 mile runs.  One day of Cross Training

Friday  7:35 am 48 degrees
3.47 miles 37:35 Avg 10:50 min/mile

Saturday  8:30 am 50 degrees
3:02 miles 33:40 Avg  11:09 min/mile

My Friday run was solo, along the Willamette River Park in Portland, Oregon.  I was up and out of my hotel room before the rest of the family and enjoyed the calm of the run.  I needed to shake the long plane flight out of my joints and it felt great.

Upon entering the hotel lobby, I was surprised to see my oldest brother, already up and dressed - reading the newspaper.  I promised him I'd take a speedy shower and meet him for breakfast.  We walked around Downtown Portland, taking in the beautiful scenery.  We ducked into Powell's Books and browsed to our hearts' content.  Perfect.  During the long weekend he and I must have walked 20 miles over Portland and I know he drove over 100.  He was a rock and a wonderful support for us.  MUCH appreciated.  I can always count on him when I need to process ideas, worries, or just everyday life.

We'd kind of decided to take a siesta for the afternoon when we were surprised by our younger brother and his wife who arrived to town a little earlier than we'd expected.  No naps.  No way.  Time with family is just too precious to sleep away.  And (YAY!) they also mentioned that they wanted to run the next morning.

We spent the rest of the afternoon catching up at a pub down the street then made our way to my daughter's house for a family get-together. 

The next morning, we met in the lobby at 8:30 am (me, my youngest brother, his wife, and my son).  We walked toward the river to warm up and then started our run.  It was so nice to run as a family.  We'd each voiced our own plan ahead of time.  Some wanted to jog, some to sprint, and my son was going for distance but we knew that one could head out and the others would meet up with him when he made the turn around.

The weather was perfect and I was close to giddy to be participating in an activity I love with the people I love.

We managed to fit in a nice run, sit down to a hearty breakfast with the the rest of the family staying at our hotel, and still get to my daughter's house in plenty of time to help get her wedding together.

This was a perfect vacation for me.  I'm beat.  I'm bushed.  I'm more or less exhausted from what I've decided to call my cross training (moving wedding food and decorations to the site).  I wouldn't have it any other way.

I've fallen even more crazily in love with the Pacific Northwest and I'm more determined than ever to vacation there more often.  I'm also more determined than ever to move closer to family.

While on the plane, I read a "Runner's World" magazine from cover to cover and finished a book - "50/50" by Dean Karnazes.  I'm feeling fueled and motivated to continue my marathon training.

It's not difficult to be positive when I am witness to such goodness in my life:

My son amazes me and his wife is one of the kindest, sweetest women I've ever met.  My daughter is a pillar of strength and compassion and deserves the awesome man who has entered her life. The time I spend with my brothers is a gift to me and I'm so happy they are married to women who are so easy to love and who seem to love me just as much. 

I'm so looking forward to the next family run.  I'm hoping it will be very soon.


©Michelle Scofield, October 7, 2012 All Rights Reserved






























































No comments:

Post a Comment