Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Body Over Mind Over Body Over...

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 2, Day 2

Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 116
Planned activity: 3 mile run
67 degrees    5:20am
3.01 miles   33:38     11:10/mile average pace

Getting to sleep was Mission Impossible last night.  I tried reading.  No go.  I got up and went to a different room and watched a documentary.  Nothing.  I finally took a Benadryl sometime after midnight, knowing that my alarm was going to go off at 5.  I had a 3 mile run planned today, depending on how my heel felt. 

It was sore.  My arm is sore.  (I had my flu shot yesterday.)  Still, I got up and got dressed.

Wow.  My heel was a little more painful than it's been as I got into mile one.  Should I stop?  I didn't want to stop.  I have an appointment with an Orthopedic doc tomorrow. 

I. Don't. Want. To. Stop.

I feel healthier today than I've felt in years.  In my life?  Yeah, I can say that.  My body is in better shape.  My skin looks great.  And other than the fact that I wish with most of my social-wishy-lonely-at-times part that I was in a loving partnership with a great man, I'm pretty damned happy.  (When you've been in the pit of depression, it's not so hard to see happy.  That's MY experience.)

When I'm running, I'm most connected with myself.  Or - better yet - occasionally when I'm running, I get into a groove and I'm DISconnected from myself and all I know is the pavement and the breeze and the sun or the moon.  When I'm running....HEY!  At mile 2, my heel didn't hurt.  I was "aware" of it, but it didn't hurt.  I cruised on through mile 3.

Note to self:  Make a note for the Doctor.  I want to run and I feel better when I do.






©Michelle Scofield, September 18, 2012 All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment