Saturday, September 29, 2012

S(l)oggy

Hal Higdon's Novice 1 Marathon Training Schedule: Week 3, Day 6



Days to Chevron Houston Marathon: 106
Planned activity: 5 mile run
74 degrees 6:00 am  Raining
5.03miles 57:55 11:31 min/mile average pace

One thing I can pretty much count on is predicted rain in the Houston area.  If the weather guy says the weekend will be a washout, he's usually right.  I went to bed last night planning to run in the rain this morning so I didn't have to talk myself into it when I woke up and looked out my window to see the wet street. 

I had the pleasant experience of stepping onto my carpeted bedroom floor and not feeling pain.  Physical Therapy is going well.  I have soreness (yes, I know the difference between soreness and pain) at my calves which indicates to me that we're working the muscles around the achilles tendons and asking them to be stronger.  It's a good thing.  Yesterday I also received a laser treatment to my right achilles.  Those who know me best will be happy to know that I refrained from any and all references to Austin Powers when my therapist brought out the machine.

I continue to do my PT homework.  It's all working.  Very happy.

My rainy, dark run felt slow.  It WAS slow.  I think it was a combination of several things:  I was wearing old shoes that felt heavy to me and they only got heavier as they became soaked.  I was very cautious of where I was stepping.  I couldn't see for sh*t due to the overcast skies and even as dawn approached, the sun never broke through to help.  I wore a cap but my glasses became a detriment to vision quickly.  Taking them off?  What's better?  Quasi-acuity through a wet lens or legal blindness?  Who's to know?  Best to slow my pace and get the miles in without breaking a hip.

Oh, I always say it's a good day when I learn something.  Before I ran I looked up the water-resistence rating on my Garmin Forerunner.  Now I know a little about how devices are tested for those ratings.  Pretty cool.  Happy Saturday!  I hope you have a good day - for whatever reason.   








©Michelle Scofield, September 29, 2012 All Rights Reserved



No comments:

Post a Comment