Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Watching It

I'm enjoying my new Garmin Forerunner 110, purchased at the recommendation of my son.  I'm able to see my pace immediately, instead of trying to do the calculation in my head.  I was using Runkeeper on my iPhone and it was adequate to track my mileage but once in a while I'd finish a run and realize that I was out in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico.  Not that that's a bad thing but I'd like to actually BE in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico - say - on a cruise ship.  Instead, I was left confused as to how many miles I'd just clocked.  If I'm going to be confused, let it be on a chaise lounge with a Vogue magazine in one hand and a Pina Colada in the other.

Other recommendations by my son made were taken less heartily by me.  He talked with great enthusiasm about minimal shoes and the book "Born to Run".  OK.  I bought the book.  I'm only a few chapters into the book and so far, so good.  I'm not sure where it will lead me but I know that my feet are another story.  I've dealt with a stress fracture and I healed it and I'm so grateful for that.  It's gone. It's done.  Buh bye.  Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.  However...

I've had a nagging little bite on my lateral right heel.  I know it's an insertion point of my plantar fascia.   Bugger.  I also know that to "protect" my feet while they I was heeling my forefoot fracture, I wore ubercushioned shoes.  My heels were elevated and I wasn't allowing my plantar fascia to stretch down.  My bad.

I'm paying for it now.

What am I doing?

I'm taking rest days.  I'm doing ankle strengthening with bands and I'm stretching.

I bought new shoes.  Yes I did.  I bought a pair of Nike FreeRun4's.  They weigh 4 oz each and, no, they don't have toes but they're as close to barefoot feeling as I think I can get with shoes.

I spend money on running shoes like I used to spend money on Hooker Heels. 

This morning I went for a short, slowish (11 minute pace) run.  I don't hurt.  I'm a happy girl. 

I've just got to watch it and pace myself.  January is a long way away.  And it's one helluva long run.



©Michelle Scofield, September 5, 2012 All Rights Reserved





No comments:

Post a Comment